OEM: Engine cooling case study
Engine was having heating problems in cylinder even though volume flow rate was maintained higher than rated flow of coolant. It was required to optimize the flow rate and temperature distribution of engine.
- CFD analysis was carried out on existing engine cooling circuit considering oil cooler, engine block and engine head.
- Based on results obtained, number and size of connecting holes between various parts were optimized.
- Conjugate heat transfer analysis was carried out to determine temperature distribution for given mass flow of cooling fluid.
- Cooling fluid mass flow was optimized in last stage of project.
- Software Tools used: STARCCM+